Saturday, October 11, 2014

Illumination



Exercise: Illumination
                At some point in point in our lives humans lose all their common sense and do something profoundly idiotic. It was a sweltering July afternoon, so hot, frying and egg on the sidewalk was not a farfetched idea. As I inspected the soon fence to be I assessed what work needed to be done to complete this electric fence. I had been working for about an hour attaching the barb wire to the t-posts I had driven the day before. I had been working at a steady pace thus far and was likely to finish in about thirty minutes. Stooping over to attach the bottom wire to the t-post I felt a surge run through my hands and go throughout my body. My entire body began to tighten up; my muscle control had completely stopped for a second. I stepped away from the fence and collected myself. Quickly I realized what had just happened. I had been shocked by the hot wire, which I had previously presumed had been turn off. On this particular fence there is a hot wire and a ground wire, in order for you to get shocked you have to be touching both at the same time. For the hour prior this had not happened, but due to my great luck I brushed up against both the wires at the same time and severely shocked and scared myself. Looking back at this experience I realize that I should have checked to see if the electric fence was turned off instead of assuming it was off. This correlates into being completely prepared for a task before you start. While I had all the tools necessary to complete this job, I forgot one of the most crucial parts. In many facets of life preparing for things is very important to being successful. The most important thing now is that I always check to see if the electric fence is off before I do anything.

1 comment: